Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Museum of Tolerance

A few weeks ago I crossed another thing off my list by making it to the Museum of Tolerance (finally!).  Although it is a beautiful, amazing building and the entire project is put together extremely well, it is a sad, sober reminder to think of the reason why this building is here today.  I am glad I visited it, but it is definitely a place that will stay with you for a long time and truly walks you through the terrible Holocaust experience and gives a glimpse of what it must have been like. 



There was one floor dedicated to the events that are happening now, as well as past injustices.  However, the majority of the museum is dedicated to remembering and addressing the Holocaust.

When you first enter the exhibit, you are given a card with a child's picture and name on it.  As you go along, you learn more about your child and the experiences they went through.

They had little exhibitions set up and you would walk through and then sit in front of each one for about 10-15 minutes as they took you through that particular moment in time of what was happening in history.



One thing I really liked is that the whole thing didn't focus on Anne Frank.  Now, I have a special relationship with her because I did the play and played her, but I also know that the Holocaust affected millions of other Jewish people and it was nice to hear their stories and experiences rather than it all be about Anne Frank.  They had a small area in a separate room that showed letters her and her sister had sent before the Holocaust, but that was all they mentioned about her.  

It was an amazing place and they even created a replica of what it would have looked like coming into a concentration camp and the different doors you would have been sent into depending on if they thought you were young, old, healthy, sick, etc.  I am really glad I went and saw this museum.



*All of these pictures came from websites, not my own photos.  They do not allow any photography within the museum.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That looks like a really cool museum... I will have to put it on my list to see in So Cal.