Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reading for Fun

I had some books checked out from the library that I wanted to take to Hawaii with me, but of course they were due during the middle of our trip and for some reason I felt like I didn't want to have them be overdue (in hindsight, it would have been cheaper to be charge .25 for a few days than buy 3 brand-new books, but oh well) so I returned them and headed to Target to see what they had.

I read the Twilight series awhile ago and actually enjoyed it, though I don't usually like sci-fi or vampire books.  However, there has been a lot of talk about the series, Hunger Games, and I decided that a trip to Hawaii, where I'd have a lot of time to read on the plane and the beach, would be the perfect place to start in on this series.



Before we left, Danny was reading the back cover of this book and I was suddenly worried that it would be too sci-fi for me.  It's about the future and how North America doesn't exist anymore except for 13 districts.  It had a slight feel of that book, The Giver, where everything is super controlled by the government or people in charge.

However, a few pages in and I was hooked.  It's about these games where these kids are selected and have to fight to the death - with only one winner.  Pretty intense for kids who are at danger of being chosen - I think anyone between 12-18 can be picked to participate.  


I was really glad that there were sequels to the book because there was so much read and so many stories to keep up with.


Finished the last book yesterday - definitely a must-read if anyone has the time to give 3 books.  They go really quickly and are very entertaining.  I give these a thumbs up :)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Good to know... I thought about reading these, but wasn't sure. Now I will give them a try- between all my class work now!

Carrie Elizabeth said...

LOL I was going to read these and then thought maybe Jen will read them first and tell me how they are! And sure enough you did! I love how we are always on the same reading path ;) Now you MUST start Dragon Tattoo!

Jennifer Verissimo Triplett said...

lol - love that you guys both thought of these books to read! I hope you guys both like them . . . I did but I can't wait to hear what you both think. Shannon - good luck fitting this in between classwork, a toddler and a bun in the oven! haha Carrie - enjoy! hope you like it - I'll definitely let you know how Dragon Tattoo goes :)