Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Room

I have seen this book everywhere.  It's in every bookstore, airport, amazon list, etc and I would always read the back of the book and think, eh, don't really know if I'd like it.


My friend Carrie told me that her friend recommended it so I put it on my list of things to read from the Redondo library.  I've had it sitting on my kitchen table for about three weeks and finally cracked it open two days ago and finished it last night.  It was that good.  

It did take me about fifty pages to finally get into the book because it's all from the perspective and language of a five year old.  However, once you are able to understand his language and thought process, the book moves very quickly and there was even a part in the middle where I simply couldn't put it down and had to find out what was going to happen - even though I was dreading that I wouldn't like the outcome.

Yes this book is slightly depressing and sad - it's the story of a five year old who only knows the room he was born into and has lived his whole life with his mother.  He doesn't know anything outside of that room and I think the author said the book was inspired by Jaycee Dugard and Elisabeth Fritzl.

I keep thinking about this book - and everyone should read it.

No comments: