Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Books, books, books

It has been awhile since I have written but I had a lot going on.  First, I may be slightly obsessed with the Redondo Beach Library and am checking out tons of books (and reading most of them) but I should probably be strictly doing homework instead.  But, I'm not, so oh well.  The week before Easter I had a huge huge huge super stressful paper/project for my teacher who wasn't satisfied with any of my topics and resulted in over a week of constant e-mails and me giving ideas and he shooting them down.  But somewhere in there I also managed to read a lot and get that project done too.

I really loved the book Little Bee and this was by the same author so I figured that I would probably like it too.  My issue with this book, though it was a good idea (a mother is writing a letter to Osama bin Laden asking him to stop what he's doing because her son and husband died during one of his terrorist attacks).  The whole novel is basically just a letter but you forget that it's just a letter and it's a fast-moving book but somewhere in there it takes a strange turn and I was not as fond of it as Little Bee.  (And now that bin Laden's dead I wonder if it would change how people read it).  Also, when looking this book up for the cover image, it appears that it was made into a movie in 2008 so I might just have to watch it and see how it plays out on screen.

I wanted to sort of read all the books on Oprah's book club list and this was one she had chosen awhile ago.  This is sort of set up to be a mystery, but the pay-off of the mystery is not as great as the build-up, therefore letting me down and wanting to say, really, that's it?  That's why you people couldn't move past your issues?  But it's a touching story of a family who comes together when their parents die tragically in a car accident and the two older brothers are left to raise the younger girls and keep the family together.  Not my favorite but it was okay.

One of my friends suggested reading this because the movie is coming out and it would be fun to read it and then see the movie.  I had no desire to read this book and had seen it around for quite some time in the bookstores but checked it out from my favorite library :) and read it super quick and actually really enjoyed it.  So of course I had to read the sequel.

This is not being turned into a movie (that I know of) but it's from the other friend's perspective and a different story of what happens next.  I liked it a lot - or it could be the fact that the character visits London and I love London :)  Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised by both of these books and they are very fun to read and I suggest them to those who want a breezy, easy book to get into.


I think that there may have been some other books I read in there but if I remember any others I'll have to post them later.  In the meantime I have also been reading for school (don't worry, mom). 








Two more weeks and then the semester is over!  And then I can read all summer if I want haha.  

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I think you have read more books in the last month than I have read in about two years. I wish I could read quickly. I might try Something Borrowed and S. Blue. What classes are you having to read for? Books look interesting. I read The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Dandicant and liked it. How is Breath Eyes Memory?
P.S. Glad to see you are back!

Jennifer Verissimo Triplett said...

Shannon - you should read Something Borrowed and Something Blue - if anything they are really easy, fast, fun and a little silly, of course haha. I am taking a Female Caribbean writers class and Breath Eyes Memory is the first one of Dandicant's that we've read this semester but I really like it and read like 30 pages more than we had to for today haha. The chapter are short and it goes by really quickly. I might have to check out the Farming of the Bones. The other books are for my Irish Literature class - we're reading some books, mostly plays.

Mom :) said...

Glad to hear that you are reading for your class too! :) I must say though that I think the pleasure books look alot more interesting than the ones you are reading for class.

Hang in there. You are almost to the finish line. :)

Love Ya,

Wish I read as fast as you do!! Glad your posts are FINALLY back!!

Carrie Elizabeth said...

I was so excited to see a new blog from you! I am halfway through The Help :) I have a few on my next to read list as well. I read Something Borrowed and Something Blue years ago and really enjoyed them too! I think I might even see the movie when it comes out for rent! Anyway, thanks for all of the book suggestions. I miss you tons friend and it's great to share our love for similar books even states apart.

Ashlie Freeberg said...

I'm glad to see you are back, even though I liked seeing Emilie at the top every time I checked your blog. :-)

I read Something Borrowed and Something Blue. I remember rooting for the cheater in the first one, which I don't usually do. I didn't like the other chick until I read the second book.

As for Oprah's Book Club, I've given up. Every book I've read on her list is depressing. If I'm going to put in hours reading a book I want something that makes me feel good.

Lastly, I agree with your mom. Your school books look really boring. . . so you should just skip them. Haha!

Can't wait to see you soon! Good luck with the rest of school.

Marisa Marinos said...

UM, you left out the part where you read the ENTIRE book in LESS than 1 day !!!! LOL

Jennifer Verissimo Triplett said...

okay - Marisa is right - I read Something Blue in one day but that's all I did all day, lol so i don't know if that's a great accomplishment. Carrie, glad we are having our own type of book club from states apart :) Ash, yes, it was nice having Emilie at the top of the blog but I can't wait to have pictures of her IN my blog :) Also, agree that you are siding with the cheater in the first book, which makes you feel slightly uncomfortable. But it all works out.