Friday, October 8, 2010

Future

The last few weeks I've been stressing out that even though I would be almost done with my graduate program, I wouldn't have enough experience or things to put on my resume to actually help me get a job.  This has been a particularly stressful thing that I've been worried about and finally decided to do something about it.  After just a few e-mails and inquiries, I applied to a tutoring program at my school and should be finding out if I got it pretty soon.  I also might be able to tutor at the local community college, will also be hearing about that soon.  Then I learned about a certificate in community college teaching that is available through my school and should better prepare me for teaching, once the day actually happens.

I also spoke with the girl who initially told me about my current program and she gave me some good tips and advice on applying for jobs and how much she enjoyed where she is teaching [Santa Monica City College].

Just hoping that everything works out and that there are lots of nice openings at junior colleges in my area once I have my degree :)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I feel your stress Jen. Hopefully it will be easier to find a job/full time job in English. It is near impossible for History, which is why I keep thinking about going back for a PhD. (UGH!) Let me know what you find out about the cc credential. I have no problem going through ANOTHER program if it helps with the "future"! Too bad we both want careers in a field that isn't exactly hiring!

Kenzo said...

nice. don't stress about it. it will work out. if not I know an insane school on the lower east side you can get hired at :o) lol jk

Anonymous said...

I read this and felt your stress immediately! Sometimes I feel like no matter how much I tweak my resume I'll never be qualified for a job. Sometimes I feel like my degree doesn't even matter :( But then I take a step back and try to remember how much work that degree took...hopefully it all works out! Have you heard back from El Co?? You're going to be a great professor, Jen!